The Houston Employment Law Blog - Find Houston Employment Lawyers

3 Things to Do If You Haven't Received Your W-2

What do you do if you haven't received your tax forms from your employer in the mail?

How do you go about filing for your taxes when you don't have the necessary paperwork? Or if you have your paperwork, what do you do if it's incorrect?

Your employer is required to file a Form W-2 for employees, but not for independent contractors. If you're an employee, then you should receive your Form W-2 by February 1.

If employers don't send these forms out or if they get information wrong, they may be subject to penalties, according to eHow.

If you haven't received your tax forms for wages by the February 1 deadline, here's what you can do:

  • Check with your employer. It's possible that they don't have the correct address on file. Call your employer and check with them. See if you can get an idea from your employer on when you may be receiving your Form W-2.

  • Report your employer's tardiness. If you want to report a late W-2, call the IRS at (800) 829-1040. Your employer may face consequences like fines for being late in sending out W-2s.

  • File a substituted W-2. If you want to file on time and still don't have your W-2, you can complete a Form 4852, entitled Substitute for Form W2, Wage and Tax Statement. See if you can find your old pay stubs so that you can be accurate with your reporting.

Of course, the IRS can give you more time to file your tax returns. Just file for an extension. But remember, an extension to file doesn't mean an extension to pay taxes, if you owe money.

Even if you do receive your W-2 on time, other issues may arise. For example, if you're not sure whether you are an employee or an independent contractor, take a look at your employment agreement. Also, check out our related resources below to learn the differences between an employee and a contractor.

Related Resources: