The Houston Employment Law Blog - Find Houston Employment Lawyers

January 2013 Archives

3 Things to Do If You Haven't Received Your W-2

What do you do if you haven't received your tax forms from your employer in the mail?

How do you go about filing for your taxes when you don't have the necessary paperwork? Or if you have your paperwork, what do you do if it's incorrect?

Your employer is required to file a Form W-2 for employees, but not for independent contractors. If you're an employee, then you should receive your Form W-2 by February 1.

How to File an EEOC Claim in Houston

It's hard when you feel you've been discriminated against at work. Discrimination at work can make you feel alone and disenfranchised.

You might feel that you have nobody to turn to. This is especially the case when you've complained to upper management and possibly even the Human Resources department to no avail.

At that point, you might be feeling like nobody is on your side. Remember, HR works for your employer and in many cases, will look to protect your employer.

Once you've complained to management and nobody's done anything to help you (or worse, they've actually punished you for making your complaint), know that you have help through the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission.

Here's how you go about filing a claim with the EEOC:

Which Employment Tax Forms Do You Need, W-2 or 1099?

Which tax forms do you give to your workers to report their income?

When filing one's federal income tax returns, one key document is the employee's W-2 statement of wages. Or, in the case of an independent contractor, Form 1099 provides the information on how much the worker earned.

But many employers don't realize that the form is only one part of the critical question: Is a worker more properly classified as an employee or contractor? Only after making that determination can they determine which form they need to send.

Cook Accuses Chinese Restaurant of Falsifying Wage Records

A Chinese restaurant in Dallas is being accused by a former employee of tampering with its records, after the employee filed a complaint.

The employee alleged that Mr. Chopsticks Inc. failed to pay her overtime wages. She also claims that the company altered its records after she filed a complaint with the Department of Labor.

The plaintiff, Marlene Lopez, worked as a cook at the restaurant for over ten years. She claims that she worked an average of 60 hours a week and was paid between $9 and $11 an hour.

Recap: 5 Important Employment Lawsuits From 2012

Last year was a relatively tame year for employment lawsuits in Texas. But nevertheless, there were some interesting lawsuits and cases that came about in 2012.

Let's recap the Top 5.

1. Breastfeeding at Work

One of the most interesting lawsuits came out of Texas. It was the breastfeeding lawsuit, in which a judge ruled that breastfeeding discrimination was not protected under federal law. The woman, who claims she was fired for pumping breast milk at work, tried to bring a lawsuit under the premise of gender discrimination.

You Can't Always Sue for Stress on the Job

Job stress can lead to lawsuits in some cases. But in the vast majority of those cases, lawsuits related to job stress aren't too successful.

So maybe it's just best to pick a career that's not too stressful? Such as a university professor, perhaps?

According to a new Top 10 list of the most and least stressful jobs for 2013, university professor takes the cake for the least stressful job, according to ABC News.

But what if you don't have the luxury of flipping careers? What if you're chained to your desk with the boss from "The Devil Wears Prada"? When can you sue, and how?